Unfortunately, auto accidents happen on a daily basis in Red Deer, Canada. We know how stressful it is to juggle car repairs, medical bills, and psychological issues following an automobile accident.Know that you are not alone in going through this difficult time. The Statutory Accident Benefits Schedule (SABS) is there to help.
If you’ve been involved in a traffic accident and you don’t know where to turn, our Red Deer Injury Lawyeris here to help.
Let’s see what SABS is and what the benefits it offers.
What Is the Statutory Accident Benefits Schedule (SABS)?
It is a benefit plan by the Automobile Accident Benefits Service of Red Deer, Canada. If you have valid automobile insurance, you will get standard insurance benefits in case of an accident. You are also entitled to additional health benefits that are not covered by healthcare.
Although the regulations are pretty defined, the result in real life will depend on several facts. One of them is the different insurance policies of a different company.
What Are You Entitled To Claim After An Accident?
It is important to remember that, as a victim, you have the right to be compensated for your damages. A number of problems resulting from an accident can cost a victim thousands of dollars. So here’s what you can claim from Statutory Accident Benefits Schedule (SABS):
- Damage to your property: This is the most common form of damages that can be claimed. While it might also be the most obvious, it’s important to get started on this right away.
- Incurred expenses and lost wages: Accident victims often forget these expenses. Various unexpected expenses have to be covered by not having personal transportation. Such expenses are the responsibility of the insurance company.
You may also have to miss work for various reasons related to your accident. Missing your job can result in lost wages.
N.B. It is important to obtain a letter from your employer as evidence of the reason why you had to miss work.It should indicate how much you are being paid. And also, remember to obtain a medical report detailing the injuries that occurred as a result of your accident.
- Medical Expenses and Moral Damages: While they can vary in severity, most people sustain some type of injury after a car accident. It can range from traumatic brain injuries to soft tissue damage. Both of them can result in expensive medical bills. It is very important to document these costs and show that they are the result of your accident.
You may experience some other form of mental or physical distress as a result of your accident. That can result in a significant change in a victim’s quality of life. You are entitled to compensation for these damages.
- Expenses for housekeeping:In case you are unable to take care of your house because of the injuries, you can have an allowance for housekeeping.
- Funeral expenses: if someone dies in the accident, SABS is supposed to pay for the funeral as well.
Monetary Limitation for Accident According To SABS
There is a wide range of payable amounts in case of an accident under the Statutory Accident Benefits Schedule (SABS). It depends on different insurance policies. Also, the severity of the accident will determine what kind of compensation you will get. There are three types of injuries-
- Minor Injury
- Non-minor Injury
In general, SABS pays a maximum of 80 percent of your current net wage as wage replacement. It will be available for a maximum of 2 years at the rate of 400$ per week.
If you are unemployed at the time of the accident, you will get 185$ per week for the next 02 years.
The medical payment is huge. You don’t have to worry about your health care if you are able to get compensation from SABS. The medical allowance can be paid for a maximum of 10 years and up to 100,000$.
How to Get Benefits from Statutory Accident Benefits Schedule?
The principle is SABS pays the benefit through the auto insurance you already have. If you are injured by another car, you are allowed to claim from their insurance company.
The first thing is to stay calm and get immediate medical attention. Then notify the insurance company about your accident and provide all the documentation that proves your injury. They will provide you with a form. Fill that correctly and send the insurance company as soon as possible.
Remember, the SABS compensation does not depend on the fault of any party.
It is always advisable to contact a specialized lawyer like Red Deer Car Accident Lawyers. They will analyze your situation and advise you on the next steps. Because sometimes the insurance company refuses to pay. You have to be strategic and smart. Remember, the allowance from Statutory Accident Benefits Schedule (SABS) is your right.