DUI charges may come along with a scary experience. It is an irresponsible and dangerous act by the person. When you make a poor decision to drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol, it may be detrimental to life and property. If you have faced similar charges, there are a few things you have to keep in mind when you get into the process.
First, remember that judicial proceedings are not that simple as you think. The complicated procedures are beyond the know-how of an ordinary person. Hence, you require a legal practitioner, such as DUI lawyers, by your side who will guide you in the process. These persons have professional know-how as well as experience, which can be beneficial for you.
Things you must keep in mind when facing DUI
First and foremost, you must be aware of the rules and regulations surrounding DUI. Following this, you must cooperate with the police, who have held you under suspicion of DUI. If you do not cooperate with them, you will only increase your complexities. Hence, take care of the following points:
- If you are under the influence of drugs or alcohol, you must try your best to comply with the officer. Never get into an argument with them, or else you will complicate the circumstances.
- When facing DUI charges, the first thing the police officer will do is transport you to the nearby police station. Then, the vehicle will get towed, and that too at your expense. Remember that you will get a notification regarding the company which has dragged the car. You will also get contact information for retrieving your automobile.
You have to be patient enough when they take your mugshot and fingerprints.
- After arrival at the police station, the processing will take time. The police officer or investigator may inquire about the incident and ask you questions regarding the circumstances.
Only the lawyer will be able to help you to get out of the situation.
- Criminal record, age, the severity of the incident are some factors that will determine the time you have to spend in the police station. You may take the help of the New Port Richey DUI law firm, who are known for their professionalism and efficiency. They have specially trained professionals who handle all necessary steps to remain in the police station for long.
Hence, the attorney plays a proactive role over here.
- For dealing with the charges of DUI, the person has to appear before the court on predetermined dates. Since they represent your case, you have to provide detailed information about the incident so that they can go about the court proceedings.
- Remember that DUI charges remain on the record for many years. Although it is not permanent, it will affect your life. Hence, it would help if you planned judiciously and that too under the influence of a learned lawyer.
Lastly, you must remember that an uncomfortable situation is just a matter of time. The support you get from your family and the legal practitioner will help you deal with severe circumstances. Proper management of charges is fundamental, for which you require an experienced DUI lawyer.